Our Environmental Green Belt public 2 day course offers a comprehensive and hands-on learning experience that applies Lean Six Sigma tools and methods specifically to environmental impact projects.
The Environmental Green Belt course is designed for individuals/small teams who are passionate about environmental sustainability and have an interest in improving processes within organizations. This course is suitable for process improvement practitioners from various backgrounds and provides the knowledge and skills to identify , analyse and improve processes with the goal of minimising environmental impacts.
To enrole in the Environmental Green Belt course participants should ideally have a basic understanding of environmental concepts and sustainability practices. Familiarity with lean six sigma principles is beneficial but not mandatory. Some experience in process improvement or working with cross-functional projects team will enhance the learning experience.
The Enviro Green Belt course offers a practical comprehensive curriculum that covers both lean six sigma principles and their application in the context of environmental sustainability. Participants can expect to gain knowledge and skills in applying lean six sigma tools and methodology to such areas as waste reduction, energy efficiency, pollution prevention and sustainable practices. The 2 day course includes interactive practical exercises, case studies, sub group discussions and access to study materials. Enviro Green Belt Practitioners will apply the Lean Six Sigma roadmap Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve, Control (DMAIC) and tools to minimise root causes of operational waste, unnecessary usage of resources and impact to the environment whilst completing an in-class environmental case study project.
2 day course agenda includes:
- Course pre-reading
- Introduction – to accomplish environmental objectives whilst achieving process improvements
- What is the problem solving process - lean six sigma?
- Identifying suitable environmental waste project targets (eg using the Waste Pyramid)
- Understanding how do we apply lean six sigma to help businesses reduce their environmental impact?
- Principles of lean six sigma and environmental impact
- What can we learn from other company case studies from a range of business sectors?
- Applying lean six sigma roadmap (DMAIC – Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve and Control) and tools to a case study project
Define phase - Creating an effective project contract, Establishing customer high-level needs, Forming a team, Assessing the change requirements and creating a change plan, Using mapping techniques to record and propose improvements, Conducting an Environmental Waste Walk (7 Wastes adapted)
Measure phase - Collect data to measure environmental waste, Estimate the existing process capability, Identify sources of process variation
Analyse phase - Establish the root cause and failure modes of environmental issues, use of a Fishbone diagram and a Green Impact Matrix, propose solutions and build a future state that will protect key environmental resources
Improve phase – Use of Kaizen events to accelerate, test and implement solutions.
Control phase - Standardise the improved process using visual control as appropriate. Set up control features to quantify the improvements and sustain the gains and meet environmental compliance standards.
Key insights into applying lean six sigma techniques to minimise environmental impact
Emerging blended approaches towards environmental sustainability, such as Green Lean Six Sigma (GLSS) and Environmental Social Responsibility
Comprehensive list of references and resources.
On completion of the Enviro GB Practitioner course, candidates will learn how to:
- Understand the fundamentals of Lean and Six Sigma and how this can be applied to environmental examples
- Benefit from how other organisations have used lean six sigma concepts to improve sustainability
- Navigate through environmental project assignments using the roadmap Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve, Control (DMAIC)
- Use a practical understanding of the key roadmap topics and tools, including:
- Scope, project manage using gate reviews and raising an effective project contract
- Apply Change acceptance techniques to ensure the project has buy-in
- Recognise both internal and external customer high-level needs and how to focus on enhancing customer satisfaction
- Use mapping techniques to record and propose improvements to the current state to progress towards a future improved environmental state
- Learn to see hidden environmental waste and how to conduct an Energy walk
- Add environmental metrics to lean metrics and use data to provide tangible environmental benefits
- Establish the current capability of the process
- Identify environmental issues
- Adapt the 5S workplace organisation tool for environmental/health and safety applications
- Prioritise the key inputs and get to the root cause
- Develop solutions that have a line of sight back to the customer sustainability requirements
- Perform tests and trials to evaluate your solutions
- Apply controls to sustain your improvements
- Become a trained process improvement practitioner in eliminating waste and improving flow (lean tools), reducing defects and process variation (six sigma tools) and to minimise the impact on the environment (adapted environment tools)
- Understand what’s needed to become an ‘agent of environmental quality and care’ and how to influence the adoption of behaviours to benefit the environment.
How to qualify for a training certificate
Attend two days of Enviro Green Belt practitioner training and actively participate in the practical exercises and discussions.
Submit an individual (or small team shared) assignment post-training based on a provided case study or a suitable environmental process improvement project of your own to show knowledge and application of the DMAIC roadmap and tools to help to sustain an advantage for the business and the environment.
The training certificate serves as evidence of the participant's knowledge and competency in applying lean six sigma principles to environmental sustainability efforts
Join us on this transformative learning journey and become a catalyst for environmental change.