Who’s it for
The Lean Six Sigma Green Belt conversion is aimed at Lean Green Belts who are seeking to add the six sigma data analytical tools to their skill set and lead and complete process improvement projects as part of their role. Adding six sigma (improving quality and reducing variation) techniques enables candidates to strengthen their lean process improvement skill sets.
Learning pathway position
The overall suite of online groups of courses provides two learning pathways :
- Lean provides an emphasis on hands-on intuitive process improvement
- Lean Six Sigma adds a comprehensive set of diagnostic tools for deeper analysis
Start your journey with a main course shown by the blue arrows. Your starting place will depend on your requirements and prior experience/knowledge.
You can upgrade between belts or convert from Lean to Lean Six Sigma (using the black arrows) if required in the future.
What’s covered in the conversion from Lean Green Belt to Lean Six Sigma Green Belt?
Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve, Control (DMAIC) roadmap
Lean Six Sigma toolkit bundle of 22 courses including: Voice of the Customer, Intro to basic stats, Data distributions, Data collection and Sampling, Graphical analysis, Measurement System Analysis, Central Limit Theorem and Confidence intervals, Correlation and regression studies, Hypothesis testing (Means, Variation and Proportions),
Use of software for statistical analysis
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt exercises, templates, source references and videos.
How long have you got?
Candidates have 6 months to complete the online training courses and a further 3 months (total 9 months) to apply for certification.
What does the training deliver?
On completion of the conversion to Lean Six Sigma Green Belt online group of courses candidates will in addition to their Lean Green Belt be able to:
- Understand how Lean and Six Sigma can be applied to ‘real world’ examples
- How to lead/co project assignments using the roadmap Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve, Control (DMAIC)
- Understand the When, Why, and How of the key roadmap topics and tools including:
- Recognising both internal and external Customer high level needs
- Capturing and understanding how to handle and graph different types of data
- Assessing the viability of a measurement system for data capture
- Measurement of the current capability of different (continuous and discrete data) processes
- Identify issues and failure modes for a process using brainstorming and data analysis techniques
- Proposing hypotheses and assumptions for process improvements
- Prioritising the key inputs and getting to the root cause
- Developing and testing hypotheses for solutions that have a line of sight back to the customer requirements
- Performing tests and trials to evaluate your solutions
- Proving before (current) and after (future) states are significantly different
- Applying controls and control plans to sustain your improvements
- Using statistical software to conduct data analysis and investigations
- Achieve certification by completion of the all the required elements and become a certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt.
Estimated effort – 39 hrs including exercises (excluding exam)
What do you need before starting
Have completed a Lean Green Belt course (if you have studied and practised to Lean Green Belt with another provider this may be acceptable – please contact us to check). A real interest in process improvement. Be reasonable comfortable with mathematics, data handling and basic statistics (proficiency will come later!). Be keen to learn more about data diagnostics. Ideally have an opportunity to put your Green Belt skills into practise.
- Complete the pre-reading
- Select and download a suitable software to assist with the data manipulation. Options are SigmaXL (preferred) , Minitab, Excel and others.
Personal login credentials. The courses are self paced narrated powerpoint videos. Downloadable pdf booklet of the course material with typically 3 slides to a page. Other resources such as additional videos, templates and files. Course test exercises. Online multi-choice exam. 9 month email access to a lean six sigma coach. A certificate on completion of the course requirements.
Completion rules and how to certify as a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
As a guide the aim is for a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt is to be competent and confident to lead/co lead a process improvement project, understand how to use the roadmap and tools and be able to guide other team members and Yellow Belts.
Green Belts should be spending 10% of their time on process improvement - this would include using the tools and roadmaps on business as usual activities.
Candidates will qualify for a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certificate by:
- Completing the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt course training courses and exercise tests.
- Passing the open book, multi choice online exam.
- Submitting an individual assignment based on an appropriate process improvement project of your choosing that demonstrates your knowledge and application of lean six sigma tools and the DMAIC roadmap (this should be a different project to your Lean GB project)
About Lean 6 Sigma Ltd, New Zealand – Chris Reed and Hannah Reed
We formed the training consultancy Lean6Sigma in 2009 to help individuals and companies build their process improvement capability.
Chris is a certified Master Black Belt and Change Practitioner and an accomplished trainer and coach and Hannah is a Green Belt process improvement coach.
We have an extensive range of New Zealand clients in both service and operational sectors and have completed a wide range of process improvement projects with over 2500 trained candidates – see our website for more details www.lean6sigma.co.nz