Who’s it for
The Lean Six Sigma Black Belt is aimed at practitioners who are seeking to become dedicated process improvement leaders using lean six sigma techniques and methodologies.
Learning pathway position
The overall suite of online groups of courses provide two learning pathways :
- Lean provides an emphasis on hands-on intuitive process improvement
- Lean Six Sigma adds a comprehensive set of diagnostic tools for deeper analysis
Start your journey with a main course shown by the blue arrows. Your starting place will depend on your requirements and prior experience/knowledge.
You can upgrade between belts or convert from Lean to Lean Six Sigma (using the black arrows) if required in the future.
What’s covered in the Lean Six Sigma Black Belt?
Lean Six Sigma toolkit bundle of 60+ courses including:
Introduction to Lean and Six Sigma principles
Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve, Control (DMAIC) roadmap
Lean deployment strategy and methods
Lean and Green environmental benefits
Introduction to Design for Six Sigma
Problem Statement, Project Charters, Kaizen, A3 preparation, Team Huddle meetings, Gemba Walks, Managing Change, Process mapping, Spaghetti diagrams, SIPOC mapping, Value Stream Mapping, Voice of the Customer (Kano analysis and Net promoter score), Intro to basic stats, Data distributions, Data collection and Sampling, Data transformation, Graphical analysis, Measurement System Analysis, Central Limit Theorem and Confidence intervals, Process capability, Correlation and regression studies including logistic regression, Brainstorming, Affinity diagrams, Hypothesis testing (Means, Variation and Proportions), Pareto Charts, Cause and effect diagram (Fishbone), Root Cause analysis (5 Why’s), 5S Workplace organisation, Work Levelling and Load Balancing, Rapid Changeover techniques (SMED), Standard Work ,Visual Workplace, Total productive Maintenance (TPM) , Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Error Proofing, Design of Experiments (DOE), Intro to General Linear Models, Intro to Reliability Life data, Process Control, Process Capability, Kanban and Material Management, Process Control Plans and Control Charts.
Use of software for statistical analysis
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt exercises, templates, source references and videos.
How long have you got?
Candidates have 12 months to complete the online training courses and a further 3 months (total 15 months) to apply for certification.
What does the training deliver?
The Lean Six Sigma Black Belt course group is a step-change for candidates to deepen their continuous improvement knowledge and extend their application from practitioner to process improvement coach.
The LSS Black Belt courses provide candidates with all the resources and knowledge for advanced application of Lean and Six Sigma and how to navigate through projects using the roadmap DMAIC roadmap and toolkits.
The knowledge gained is deeper and broader than the Green Belt course, is more analytical and enables candidates to understand how process improvement really works. Candidates completing the Black Belt course will secure the following learning outcomes:
- Confident in assessing the value-add of potential projects to increase the effectiveness of project selection
- To be able to take a wider view of continuous improvement – how it can be successfully deployed, what are the success factors and issues to avoid.
- Capable of leading (not just taking part) in a continuous improvement project to completion – know which tools to apply – when and why.
- Knowledge of how to mentor other CI practitioners eg Yellow and Green Belts
- Confidence in knowing which tools to apply to an improvement process to accelerate completion
- Understanding of how the different Continuous Improvement tools interact and connect and when to use them
- Practical knowledge on how to run a kaizen workshop or rapid improvement event
- Knowing what is needed to manage change and the ability to apply this successfully to a real process improvement project
- Capability of becoming the go-to person for Continuous Improvement in your organisation
- Understanding of how lead measures will drive behaviours and attitudes to improve performance
- To become competent on the application of statistical software, how to apply it, what it means and the correct assumptions to make. The intention is not for candidates to become statisticians but they will become trained to the level of being able to help others.
- Increased capability to analyse data and understand how to practically use statistical tools – being able to prove that there is a difference between before and after
Estimated effort – 87 hrs including exercises (excluding exam)
What do you need before starting
A real interest in process improvement. Be reasonable comfortable with mathematics, data handling and basic statistics (proficiency will come later!). Be keen to learn more about lean and data diagnostics. Ideally have an opportunity to put your Green Belt skills into practise.
- Complete the pre-reading
- Select and download a suitable software to assist with the data manipulation. Options are SigmaXL (preferred) , Minitab, Excel and others.
Personal login credentials. The courses are self paced narrated powerpoint videos. Downloadable pdf booklet of the course material with typically 3 slides to a page. Other resources such as additional videos, templates and files. Course test exercises. Online multi-choice exam. 15 month email access and 90 minutes Zoom (or equivalent) contact with a lean six sigma coach. A certificate on completion of the course requirements.
Completion rules and how to certify as a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
A Black Belt needs to be seen as a subject matter expert; as a process improver, problem solver, workshop facilitator and change agent. It isn’t all about being lean six sigma tool proficient though since a Black Belt must be able to lead projects to completion, mentor/coach Green Belts and be able to help others on tool usage and roadmap deployment. Not all Black Belts want to be a trainer but they do have to demonstrate expertise in process improvement and change management. Experience will increase with each project completed, workshop facilitated and tool used so this certification should be seen as a gateway to start this process. Hence certification as a LSS Black Belt has a few more elements than the Yellow and Green belt levels
Candidates will qualify for a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certificate by:
- Completing the Lean Six Sigma Black Belt course training courses and exercise tests.
- Passing the open book, multi choice online exam.
- Submitting an individual assignment based on completion of two appropriate process improvement projects of your choosing that demonstrates your knowledge and application of lean six sigma tools and the DMAIC roadmap
- Demonstrating 3 from 4 of the following
- Deliver/design 4 topics of training
- Lead a kaizen
- Complete a Continuous Improvement initiative
- Mentor two Yellow/Green Belt projects to completion
About Lean 6 Sigma Ltd, New Zealand – Chris Reed and Hannah Reed
We formed the training consultancy Lean6Sigma in 2009 to help individuals and companies build their process improvement capability.
Chris is a certified Master Black Belt and Change Practitioner and an accomplished trainer and coach and Hannah is a Green Belt process improvement coach.
We have an extensive range of New Zealand clients in both service and operational sectors and have completed a wide range of process improvement projects with over 2500 trained candidates – see our website for more details www.lean6sigma.co.nz