Who’s it for
The upgrade to Lean Six Sigma Black Belt is aimed at Lean Six Sigma Green Belts who are seeking to become dedicated process improvement leaders using lean six sigma techniques and methodologies.
Learning pathway position
The overall suite of online groups of courses provide two learning pathways :
- Lean provides an emphasis on hands-on intuitive process improvement
- Lean Six Sigma adds a comprehensive set of diagnostic tools for deeper analysis
Start your journey with a main course shown by the blue arrows. Your starting place will depend on your requirements and prior experience/knowledge.
You can upgrade between belts or convert from Lean to Lean Six Sigma (using the black arrows) if required in the future.
What’s covered in the upgrade to Lean Six Sigma Black Belt?
Lean Six Sigma toolkit bundle of 10 courses including:
Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve, Control (DMAIC) roadmap
Lean deployment strategy and methods
Lean and Green environmental benefits
Introduction to Design for Six Sigma
Voice of the Customer (Net promoter score), , Data transformation, Logistic regression, Total productive Maintenance (TPM) , , Design of Experiments (DOE), Intro to General Linear Models, Intro to Reliability Life data,.
Use of software for statistical analysis
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt exercises, templates, source references and videos.
How long have you got?
Candidates have 3 months to complete the online training courses and a further 6 months (total 9 months) to apply for certification.
What does the training deliver?
The upgrade Lean Six Sigma Black Belt course group is a step-change for candidates to deepen their continuous improvement knowledge and extend their application from practitioner to process improvement coach.
The upgrade courses provide candidates with the resources and knowledge for upgrading to Lean Six Sigma Black Belt level and further opportunities to navigate through projects using the roadmap DMAIC roadmap and toolkits.
The knowledge gained is deeper and more analytical and enables candidates to understand how process improvement really works. Candidates completing the upgrade to Black Belt course will secure the following learning outcomes:
- Confident in assessing the value-add of potential projects to increase the effectiveness of project selection
- Capable of leading (not just taking part) in a continuous improvement project to completion – know which tools to apply – when and why.
- Knowledge of how to mentor other CI practitioners eg Yellow and Green Belts
- Confidence in knowing which tools to apply to an improvement process to accelerate completion
- Capability of becoming the go-to person for Continuous Improvement in your organisation
- To become competent on the application of statistical software, how to apply it, what it means and the correct assumptions to make. The intention is not for candidates to become statisticians but they will become trained to the level of being able to help others.
- Increased capability to analyse data and understand how to practically use statistical tools – being able to prove that there is a difference between before and after
Estimated effort – 15 hrs including exercises (excluding exam)
What do you need before starting
Have completed a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt course (if you have studied and practised to Lean Six Sigma Green Belt with another provider this may be acceptable – please contact us to check). A real interest in process improvement. Be reasonably comfortable with mathematics, data handling and basic statistics (proficiency will come later!). Be keen to learn more about lean and data diagnostics. Ideally have an opportunity to put your Black Belt skills into practise.
- Complete the pre-reading
- Select and download a suitable software to assist with the data manipulation. Options are SigmaXL (preferred) , Minitab, Excel and others.
Personal login credentials. The courses are self paced narrated powerpoint videos. Downloadable pdf booklet of the course material with typically 3 slides to a page. Other resources such as additional videos, templates and files. Course test exercises. Online multi-choice exam. 9 month email access and 60 minutes Zoom (or equivalent) contact with a lean six sigma coach. A certificate on completion of the course requirements.
Completion rules and how to certify as a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
A Black Belt needs to be seen as a subject matter expert; as a process improver, problem solver, workshop facilitator and change agent. It isn’t all about being lean six sigma tool proficient though since a Black Belt must be able to lead projects to completion, mentor/coach Green Belts and be able to help others on tool usage and roadmap deployment. Not all Black Belts want to be a trainer but they do have to demonstrate expertise in process improvement and change management. Experience will increase with each project completed, workshop facilitated and tool used so this certification should be seen as a gateway to start this process. Hence certification as a LSS Black Belt has a few more elements than the Yellow and Green belt levels
Candidates will qualify for a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certificate by:
- Completing the Lean Six Sigma Black Belt training courses (or LSS Green Belt plus Upgrade) and exercise tests.
- Passing the open book, multi choice online exam.
- Submitting an individual assignment based on completion of two appropriate process improvement projects of your choosing that demonstrates your knowledge and application of lean six sigma tools and the DMAIC roadmap
- Demonstrating 3 from 4 of the following
- Deliver/design 4 topics of training
- Lead a kaizen
- Complete a Continuous Improvement initiative
- Mentor two Yellow/Green Belt projects to completion
About Lean 6 Sigma Ltd, New Zealand – Chris Reed and Hannah Reed
We formed the training consultancy Lean6Sigma in 2009 to help individuals and companies build their process improvement capability.
Chris is a certified Master Black Belt and Change Practitioner and an accomplished trainer and coach and Hannah is a Green Belt process improvement coach.
We have an extensive range of New Zealand clients in both service and operational sectors and have completed a wide range of process improvement projects with over 2500 trained candidates – see our website for more details www.lean6sigma.co.nz