Who’s it for
Anyone looking to increase their capability in problem solving and process improvement using lean six sigma techniques.
Team members/team leaders/managers requiring a first level course on lean six sigma methods suitable for service and operational environments.
Learning pathway position
The overall suite of online groups of courses provide two learning pathways :
- Lean provides an emphasis on hands-on intuitive process improvement
- Lean Six Sigma adds a comprehensive set of diagnostic tools for deeper analysis
Start your journey with a main course shown by the blue arrows. Your starting place will depend on your requirements and prior experience/knowledge.
You can upgrade between belts or convert from Lean to Lean Six Sigma (using the black arrows) if required in the future.
What’s covered in the Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt?
Introduction to Lean Six Sigma principles
Lean Kaizen and DMAIC roadmap
Lean Six Sigma toolkit bundle of 22 courses including: Problem Statement, Project Charters, Kaizen, A3 preparation, Team Huddle meetings, Gemba Walks, Process mapping, SIPOC mapping, Spaghetti diagrams, Process Capability, Brainstorming, Affinity diagrams, Cause and effect diagram (Fishbone), Pareto Charts, Root Cause analysis (5 Why’s), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, 5S Workplace organisation, Error proofing, Standard Work ,Visual Workplace, Managing Change, Process Control,
Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt exercises, exam for certification, templates, source references and videos.
How long have you got?
Candidates have 6 months to complete the online training courses and a further 3 months (total 9 months) to apply for certification.
What does the training deliver?
Candidates will learn how to
- Apply lean thinking to everyday situations
- Become more proficient in using lean principles and tools
- Structure a project charter for either a kaizen or DMAIC improvement project
- Process map using a range of techniques
- Understand the importance of creating a change plan
- Start to understand how to apply six sigma techniques to collect and analyse data
- Interpret how well the process capability meets the customer requirements
- Evaluate process issues using brainstorming techniques and through data capture using Pareto charts
- Understand how to assess potential process/product failure modes
- Implement and trial solutions to address root causes
- Improve process robustness using error/mistake proofing
- Be able to lead/co lead a process improvement project using a Kaizen roadmap
- Be able to participate in a process improvement project using the DMAIC roadmap.
Achieve certification by completion of the all the required elements.
Estimated effort – 23.5 hrs including exercises (excluding exam)
What do you need before starting
Be curious about process improvement and problem solving. Think about where this can be applied in your area of interest.
- Complete the pre-reading
Personal login credentials. The courses are self paced narrated powerpoint videos. Downloadable pdf booklet of the course material with typically 3 slides to a page. Other resources such as additional videos, templates and files. Course test exercises. Multi-choice online exam. 9 month email access to a lean six sigma coach. A certificate on completion of the course requirements.
Completion rules and how to certify as a Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt
Candidates will qualify for a Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt certificate by:
- Completing the Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt course training courses and exercise tests.
- Passing the Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt online open book multi-choice exam.
- Submitting an individual assignment based on :
a) Completing a provided case study process improvement project to show knowledge and application of lean six sigma tools and the Kaizen/DMAIC roadmap or
b) Completing an appropriate process improvement project of your choosing that demonstrates your knowledge and application of lean six sigma tools and the Kaizen/DMAIC roadmap
About Lean 6 Sigma Ltd, New Zealand – Chris Reed and Hannah Reed
We formed the training consultancy Lean6Sigma in 2009 to help individuals and companies build their process improvement capability.
Chris is a certified Master Black Belt and Change Practitioner and an accomplished trainer and coach and Hannah is a Green Belt process improvement coach.
We have an extensive range of New Zealand clients in both service and operational sectors and have completed a wide range of process improvement projects with over 2500 trained candidates – see our website for more details www.lean6sigma.co.nz