Who’s it for
Lean Yellow Belts looking to add some introductory analytical techniques to their problem solving and process improvement activities.
Team members/team leaders/managers requiring a first level course on lean six sigma methods suitable for service and operational environments.
Learning pathway position
The overall suite of online groups of courses provide two learning pathways :
- Lean provides an emphasis on hands-on intuitive process improvement
- Lean Six Sigma adds a comprehensive set of diagnostic tools for deeper analysis
Start your journey with a main course shown by the blue arrows. Your starting place will depend on your requirements and prior experience/knowledge.
You can upgrade between belts or convert from Lean to Lean Six Sigma (using the black arrows) if required in the future.
What’s covered in the conversion to Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt?
Introduction to Lean Six Sigma principles
Lean Kaizen and DMAIC roadmap
Lean Six Sigma toolkit bundle of 8 courses including: Project Charters, SIPOC mapping, Process Capability, Pareto Charts, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Error proofing, Process Control,
Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt exercises, exam for certification, templates, source references and videos.
How long have you got?
Candidates have 3 months to complete the online training courses and a further 3 months (total 6 months) to apply for certification.
What does the training deliver?
Candidates will learn how to
- Add six sigma thinking to everyday situations
- Become more proficient in using lean and some six sigma principles and tools
- Structure a project charter for either a kaizen or DMAIC improvement project
- Process map using the SIPOC diagram
- Start to understand how to apply six sigma techniques to collect and analyse data
- Interpret how well the process capability meets the customer requirements
- Evaluate data capture using Pareto charts
- Understand how to assess potential process/product failure modes
- Improve process robustness using error/mistake proofing
- Be able to participate in a process improvement project using the DMAIC roadmap.
Achieve certification by completion of the all the required elements.
Estimated effort – 8.5 hrs including exercises (excluding exam)
What do you need before starting
Have completed a Lean Yellow Belt course (if you have studied and practised to Lean Yellow Belt with another provider this may be acceptable – please contact us to check). Be curious about process improvement and problem solving. Think about where this can be applied in your area of interest.
- Complete the pre-reading
Personal login credentials. The courses are self paced narrated powerpoint videos. Downloadable pdf booklet of the course material with typically 3 slides to a page. Other resources such as additional videos, templates and files. Course test exercises. Multi-choice online exam. 6 month email access to a lean six sigma coach. A certificate on completion of the course requirements.
Completion rules and how to certify as a Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt
Candidates will qualify for a Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt certificate by:
- Completing the Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt course training courses and exercise tests.
- Passing the Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt online open book multi-choice exam.
- Submitting an individual assignment based on :
a) Completing a provided case study process improvement project to show knowledge and application of lean six sigma tools and the Kaizen/DMAIC roadmap or
b) Completing an appropriate process improvement project of your choosing that demonstrates your knowledge and application of lean six sigma tools and the Kaizen/DMAIC roadmap (this could be the same project as submitted for your Lean Yellow Belt certification)
About Lean 6 Sigma Ltd, New Zealand – Chris Reed and Hannah Reed
We formed the training consultancy Lean6Sigma in 2009 to help individuals and companies build their process improvement capability.
Chris is a certified Master Black Belt and Change Practitioner and an accomplished trainer and coach and Hannah is a Green Belt process improvement coach.
We have an extensive range of New Zealand clients in both service and operational sectors and have completed a wide range of process improvement projects with over 2500 trained candidates – see our website for more details www.lean6sigma.co.nz